The NAPIT Trade Association has been offering tradespeople a voice in their industry for over 20 years. We are passionate about defending and advancing the interests of all NAPIT members and base our objectives on the feedback we receive from you.
If you are a member of any of NAPIT’s membership schemes, you are automatically entitled to participate. The Trade Association currently holds regional meetings three times a year in 12 locations across England and Wales.
Our meetings give all members a chance to get involved. They are the ideal forum for you to learn more about your trade through technical presentations, updates on campaigning priorities and the opportunity to raise any concerns, ideas or feedback you may have.
If you are unable to attend regional meetings, you can still ensure your voice is heard. We offer you the chance to influence our campaigning priorities and the key industry issues we cover via simple surveys circulated to all members after each set of regional meetings. You can also raise issues at any time by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
The NAPIT Trade Association works for you. We identify our core objectives on the basis of your feedback, received during regional meetings and from regular surveys.
Our completed objectives include:
- The achievement of a single register for all full scope electricians registered with a DCLG authorised Competent Person Scheme Operator in England and Wales, designed to raise consumer awareness… FIND OUT MORE
Our current objectives include:
- Influencing a timely, nationwide agreed solution to allow meter seals to be removed legally by competent, registered electricians
- Campaigning for stronger Enforcement of Part P of the Building Regulations to ensure effective deterrence of substandard electrical work
- Working with industry and Government to urge the introduction of regular, mandatory electrical safety checks in the Private Rented Sector
To make your voice heard, simply attend one of our regional meetings, respond to our pre-meeting surveys (currently distributed three times a year), or get in touch via: email@example.com
The NAPIT Trade Association constantly seeks to represent your views on important industry committees, within key government departments and via targeted publicity.
Your Trade Association is constantly looking for new ways to represent your interests and address your concerns. You speak and we listen, using our influence to campaign for positive change.
Our recent and current work includes:
- Sponsorship and press coverage to support an important report by the Electrical Safety Roundtable. The report assessed and made key recommendations to improve enforcement of Part P of the Building Regulations… FIND OUT MORE
- Targeted publicity, timely consultation responses and cooperation with like-minded industry groups to influence the introduction of mandatory electrical safety checks in the private rented sector
- Using industry committees and individual meetings to highlight trade concerns regarding the need to find an appropriate solution on the issue of safe isolation
The ability to feed back your ideas and concerns to Government and key industry organisations is central to our capacity to improve the industry in which you work.
Consultation can be defined as a discussion about something that is still being decided. In Government and industry, this process is often formalised into document to which interested individuals and organisations can respond in order to help them arrive at a more informed decision.
These documents often pose specific questions that allow interested stakeholders to offer their views on the final form everything from regulations to guidance documents should take.
This provides a great opportunity for the NAPIT Trade Association to contribute written responses that represent the interests of its members.
Recent consultations responded to by NAPIT and the NAPIT Trade Association include a:
- HSE consultation on a proposed publication – HSG141: Electrical Safety on Construction Sites
- Labour Party green paper – An end to cold homes: One Nation Labour’s plans for energy efficiency
- Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) consultation – Private Rented Sector Energy Efficiency Regulations
- Department of Communities and Local Government (DCLG) consultation – Review of Property Conditions in the Private Rented Sector
Chaired by Chris Bielby MBE, it was founded by the NAPIT Group in 2012 following widespread concern over poor promotion of competent registered electricians and enforcement of Approved Document P.
Uniting a diverse range of experts in their respective fields, its membership has grown to include over 15 prominent organisations, such as the Chief Fire Officers Association, Local Authority Building Control and leading manufacturers' trade association, BEAMA.
NAPIT play an active role in the ESR. In 2015, the NAPIT Trade Association sponsored its extensive investigation into enforcement of Part P. And, most recently, NAPIT Trade Association chaired a home safety sub-group of the industry forum, introducing an innovative home safety certificate to help landlords keep their tenants safe.
The ESR is an important vehicle for positive industry change and NAPIT will continue to support in its mission to provide:
- innovative research and policy solutions to government and industry
- and expert, independent electrical and home safety guidance to consumers
In our work to secure concrete industry change, the NAPIT Trade Association has spearheaded many successful projects and campaigns.
The creation of much needed, time-saving guidance to support installers who wish to report issues with Distribution Business service equipment in the home is one recent example.
NAPIT worked with the Energy Networks Association and other industry stakeholders to create this new reporting mechanism, designed to improve electrical safety in the home.
The Guidance on reporting issues with Distribution Businesses service equipment and supplementary guidance documents are free to download below.
After feedback received from NAPIT members at the 2015 NAPIT EXPO… On The Road events, we decided to create a leaflet to give a clear understanding of the regulations that are now in effect for consumer units. This will help NAPIT members keep their customers informed about Amendment 3 to the 17th Edition Wiring Regulations. Click here to download the leaflet.